The Bachelor of Translation with Business (Honours) Programme is unique and the first of its kind in Hong Kong. It gives students versatile skills and comprehensive knowledge in translation and business to equip them for future careers in related fields.
Our curriculum is designed on a premise of vibrancy and versatility. The aim is to provide academic and professional training to potential translators and interpreters to serve the increasing needs in language services in global trade. In particular, we offer a unique 4 “I” programme:
|Integrated:||the integration of translation and business studies to educate graduates who are proficient in both languages and business know-how;|
|Innovative:||a forward-looking programme designed on the pulse of latest market and academic innovations;|
|In-depth:||intensive exploration in various fields of translation and business;|
|Interesting:||materials selected from real-life situations that intrigue and inspire students.|
The BTB Programme will enable students to:
- Learn independently and to learn how to learn;
- Face challenges by using their critical thinking, creativity, analytical power and problem-solving ability;
- Work in a team with effective social and interpersonal skills;
- Obtain knowledge, language skills and practical experience for their pursuit of a career in the business or public sector;
- Communicate effectively in English and Chinese (Cantonese and Putonghua) in a biliterate and trilingual business environment and for study purposes;
- Gain a solid foundation of theoretical knowledge in business administration and translation;
- Put theory and knowledge into practice in applied translation for business-related purposes;
- Be aware of global issues and the developments in cross-border regions through international or national exposure; and
- Widen their understanding of the world and of the communities and cultures in which they may live or work.
We have assembled a team of experienced academics and practitioners with a broad profile of expertise ranging from law, media, finance, advertising, interpreting, linguistics, public relations, arts translation, to computer-aided translation. Together, we strive to equip students with the talents to excel in the changing contexts of the business world in Hong Kong and the world.
We actively engage our students in internships, field studies, overseas exchanges and language immersion programmes.
We are committed to small-class teaching (no more than 20 students in a class) to ensure teacher-student and student-student interactions.
This is a four-year programme. There are two semesters of 15 weeks per year. Students are required to study at least 46 modules or 138 credits in total for graduation. Each module is worth 3 credits, and each credit consists of a minimum of 15 contact hours.
There are four study areas: Translation, Language, Business and General Education.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs):
Upon completion of the Programme, students should be able to:
- Have a solid foundation of the theoretical and professional knowledge of business administration and translation;
- Apply conceptual, specialised, technical and creative skills in business administration and translation;
- Communicate effectively through writing and translation in English and Chinese (Cantonese and Putonghua) in a biliterate and trilingual business environment and for study purposes;
- Attain a competent level in language usage in globally recognised language assessments, including IELTS and National Putonghua Proficiency Test;
- Generate ideas through application of abstract information and concepts;
- Critically analyse, evaluate and synthesise information, ideas and concepts;
- Apply social and interpersonal skills effectively and to work in a team;
- Use information technology effectively for business-related and translation purposes;
- Have a good understanding of the world, the communities and the cultures in which they may live or work; and
- Be professional and competent in taking up a career in the public or business sector.
QF Level: 5
Area of Study/Training: Languages, Translation and Literature